Our first and best loved pet, Darby, died yesterday. She was nearly 10 years old. She died peacefully in her sleep, and for that we are grateful. She came into our family on December 5, 1998. Steve went to see her earlier, but he decided the cost was too great, since we had just moved into our new home. That was good news to me, since I didn't have any ideas of what to give him for Christmas, now the problem was solved. However, I didn't have the first idea of what we would need for a dog, so I visited Petsmart and they loaded me up with all the "essentials."
The kids and I did a 3 hour round-trip drive to pick Darby up and bring her back home. We tied a tag on her new pink collar that said, "On the first day of Christmas your true love gave to you...a dog to help you catch the partridge in the pear tree." We stopped at Steve's work and pushed her through the front door, then watched to see what his reaction would be when he spotted his Christmas present. It was better than I had hoped. He was so happy that he didn't even ask me how much I had spent on all the "necessary" items we had picked up for Darby. Since then she has been the seventh member of the family. We will definitely miss her.
The kids and I did a 3 hour round-trip drive to pick Darby up and bring her back home. We tied a tag on her new pink collar that said, "On the first day of Christmas your true love gave to you...a dog to help you catch the partridge in the pear tree." We stopped at Steve's work and pushed her through the front door, then watched to see what his reaction would be when he spotted his Christmas present. It was better than I had hoped. He was so happy that he didn't even ask me how much I had spent on all the "necessary" items we had picked up for Darby. Since then she has been the seventh member of the family. We will definitely miss her.
1 comment:
I am terribly sorry for your lose.
Being raised with dogs I know that they can quickly become a member of the family and not just 'a pet'.
Post a Comment