January 7, 2008

Making a Costume

Years ago I learned that it is usually cheaper to buy Halloween costumes than make them. Every since then I have bought most of the kids costumes...that is until I forget and need a lesson to remind me. This year Lauren asked to be a forest fairy. I found a $5 costume at a local store and was excited that I would be able to outfit her without spending an outrageous amount. As soon as she tried it on, I realized that we had a problem. The netting for the skirt was too sheer and showed more than it should. My next solution was to buy a nude unitard for $20 from an auction site to go under the fairy costume-thereby eliminating any chance of undergarments showing. At this point I was still confident that I was still getting a good deal, and knew that I had hit upon the best solution to keep Lauren warm and modestly covered. As soon as the package arrived, I had Lauren immediately try it on with the costume...and discovered that even though it covered everything it should, it was very form fitting and that skirt was still too sheer. My next solution was to go to the fabric store for more netting to add to the skirt. $25 later we had our fabric, but little did I know the time that it would take to make the pattern, then sew and attach the extra skirts. In the end the costume was a success (even if some people mistook her for Mother Earth), and I've once again learned my lesson.

No comments: