March 21, 2009

Ashlyn's Antics

Ashlyn's recent rounds of questions have been focused on butlers. I'm not sure where she ever learned about butlers, but she started to ask Steve and I questions that were a little different from her usual inquiries. It went something like this:

Ashlyn: Mom, have you ever had a butler?
Me: No.
Ashlyn: Would you ever want to have a butler?
Me: Why would I need one, I have you?
Ashlyn: Mom! I mean someone who has to do everything you tell them to.
Me: You have to pay butlers lots of money, I can't afford that. That's why I have kids, to do everything I tell them.
Ashlyn: (after rolling her eyes at me and sighing) Dad...do you have a butler at work?
Steve: No, why would a butler be at work?
Ashlyn: I'm talking about someone who has to do what you say, and will get you snacks.
Me: Ashlyn, that's a secretary or personal assistant.
Ashlyn: Well, when I grow up I'm going to have a butler.
Me: You'll have to have lots of money then.
Ashlyn: Oh.

That seemed to be the end of it until two weeks later she brought home a book she'd put together for St. Patrick's Day titled, "How to catch a Leprechaun."

Page 1-First, I would set a trap and put in there a sparkly thing. (this page was very light and didn't scan well)
Page 2- Next, I would get his gold


Page 3-Last, make him my butler. (In the picture Ashlyn is telling the leprachaun/butler, "Go get me a snack."


Needless to say, we got a good laugh over this, but are at the same time concerned about this little glimpse of Diva behavior from her. Quite ingenious though to find a way to become rich and get a butler all at once. Wish I had thought of it!

No comments: