April 7, 2008

Updates

I need to add a couple of updates from my previous posts. Events that happened recently of note in our family. The first is Science Fair. Nate went on to the Region level competition two weeks ago. Of course it was a very busy day and so I tried to talk him out of attending the awards assembly at the close of the competition, since I was needed at the stake center all night to conduct Futsal games. I figured he was lucky to make it to the region level, and that would be the extent of any recognition he would receive. Nate's teacher thought differently and talked me into having Nate attend the awards event that evening. Luckily he did, because Nate ended up getting 2nd place in the Junior Division of Medicine and Health. His trophy and certificates are still sitting on the piano, and he is already talking about what his project will be next year.

The other item to update is the Geography Bee. Nate scored high enough on the exam to qualify for the state competition, which took place on Friday. He was nervous the morning of the event, but not as nervous as I was-as I forgot to even take the camera for pictures of Nate in the competition. (Steve couldn't believe that I would neglect something so important, but it was all nerves!) He got through the preliminary rounds and ended up in the tie-breaker rounds to determine the ten finalist. His last question knocked him out of the round, and he still is upset because the first answer he wrote down, then scratched out was the correct answer. Oh well, we think he did great as he ended up being in 13th place out of the 100 kids who made it to state, out of the many thousands of kids who participated in their own geography bees in their schools. (Sorry for the big bragging there, but I couldn't help it.) Anyway, here is the question that ended up taking Nate out of the competition, see how you would answer it:

Which country that is not part of the European Union, and is bordered by Belaurus and Ukraine, recently tightened its border patrols because of problems caused by immigration?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the updates! What an amazing group of kids you have. Don't you love that they are so involved with; family, school and community. You are an amazing woman to juggle all of those schedules.

Anonymous said...

Do you know how to get ahold of any of the 'old YW'? I would love to get together.